Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Barack Obama's Speech Analysis 2

I really enjoyed watching this video and I am starting to notice several patterns that he uses that makes his speeches very efficient. This speech uses a lot of reader's inclusion, which creates a special bond between him and the audience. Usually repetitions can get annoying in a speech but the way he uses them makes it very effective. When he gives a speech, he uses rhythm and the timing very effectively which is why it’s interesting when you hear it rather than reading it. Lots of cause and effect are also used in his speech to indicate what his main idea is. I really like how he uses lots of facts, stories, and background history to prove a point. The pattern that he uses in both of the speeches has to be reader's inclusion; it's almost in every paragraph. When I read the speech and listened to it, I noticed how the tone of his voice and the way I read it made such a big difference.

The vocabulary he uses also makes every speech he does very effective. He doesn't use long words that are hard to understand but something that will make it effective for example "tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity and unyielding hope". His speeches include anecdotes as well which draws the audience to pay close attention. He says "yes we can" a lot, it's a saying that gives Americans hope. The major techniques he uses are reader’s inclusion to create a bond with the audience uses excellent vocabulary, uses repetition, and rhetoric questions. I am starting to learn a lot from watching his speeches. I wish to gain more skills in how to make my writing creative and effective especially with speeches. I am looking forward to analyze more of his speeches in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment